My ideal number is three:

1) a mountain bike for fast single track riding (so, no racks, fenders, or
underbiking)

2) a relatively stripped down bike for solo road rides (but fenders are
still nice for wet rides, and with fat tires, why not?)

3) a racked/fendered/etc bike for pulling the kids around, grocery runs,
family rides, camping etc.

So how did I end up at seven? I think I'm about to go through a downsizing
phase. I have in each category

(pictures here:
https://bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/2017/04/fleet-update-again.html)

1a) Surly Karate Monkey rigid single speed 29er. I've tried to sell this
bike, but I can't. It rides wonderfully and is just right for me.
1b) Niner SIR9, but with B+ wheels and lately gears and a sus fork. I'm not
sure this will be a keeper
1c) Jones Plus: so capable, but maybe too stable for me.

2a) Raleigh Tecnhium road bike, with gears, no fenders. I bought this for
$25, it's a really nice riding bike
2b) Specialized Rockhopper, converted to 700c and fixed gear. Twice the
price of the Raleigh! But a nice bike.

3a) Raleigh Technium Peak mtb converted to city bike duties, my attempt to
combine the flexy ride of my Technium road bike with big tires and strong
brakes
3b) VO Polyvalent, a usefully designed 650b low trail bike. Kinda boring,
though.

I may end up selling off most everything but the Surly. Riv content: a
Quickbeam (64cm, if you have one), could replace my road bikes, and maybe a
Clem Smith for the city bikes.

Eric
Plain City, OH