Could be some serious illness or life event.  But it could also be another
thing:  This tape is very expensive.  An entire rolls sells for several
hundred dollars.  Sometimes a "casual" retailer who advertises a product
like this (i.e., small increments), but happens to be out of an entire roll
at the moment will attempt to wait for a "critical mass" of orders before
he buys another.  I guess I can't blame them for doing that; even major
retailers who sell discounted products will often do the same thing - hence
the wonderful term "back ordered."  My only complaint would be not telling
that to potential buyers right up front.  I wouldn't mind waiting.  After
all, I've done without it for all these years - I just like to know the
score right up front.