Deacon, I'm just catching up with this thread.  I'm not quite sure why you
express a particular preference for Japanese hand tools.  I can understand
 - and totally get - your desire to avoid the noise and dirt associated
with power tools.  As someone with  a 40 year woodworking habit, I have a
strong preference  for planes, chisels, and hand saws, but have to admit
I'm too impatient to go 100% hand tool.  I am however fanatical about dust
and take a decibel reader with me when I buy anything from a vacuum cleaner
 on up that has a motor attached to it.

There is currently a great renaissance in traditional American hand tools.
 If you are interested in hand tool work I would strongly recommend looking
at western tools.  There are lots of good tools for sale.  I recommend
Veritas, sold through Lee Valley, and Lie Nielsen, but there are plenty of
other top notch hand tool mfg. out there.  For info. look for web sites
from Rob Cosman, The WoodWhisperer, Traditional Woodworker, Wood & Shop,
Fine Woodworking ... Lumberjocks is a free web site where people share
experience & get advice.  Youtube has a cornucopia of hand tool advice.

A word of warning.  Woodworking, even with hand tools, can outstrip the
cost of a bicycle habit.  The only out is pointing to all the nice things
you have built when your wife starts to grumble about expenses.

Michael... closing in on a wall of cabinets including 20 drawers with hand
cut dovetails.