Daniel,

Are you concerned about the shifter cable not being robust enough, or are
you concerned about the use of a shift lever instead of a brake lever
(possible cable pull length)?

If the former, I do not think it's an issue, as a drag brake is not
subjected to the repeated hard forces of regular brakes -- the intent of
the drag brake is to scrub speed, not stop you in a hurry (and is not used
that often, in my experience). If the latter, in my experience you'll have
plenty of cable pull from a shifter.

If something else is worrying you, what is it?

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, Il