Getting in sync with your stoker has a huge role in riding uphill.
This is particularly true if you try to stand for hills.

On my road oriented tandem, I have 30 tooth front and 30 tooth rear.
This has been an issue with less experienced stokers and has had ME standing
and going as hard as I can while they did less work.

Gearing aside, get really familiar with your stoker before attacking anything
too steep.

These HHH tandems are ideal for all the fun things a tandem is great for.
A 24 front with a 34 or 36 rear should cover most needs under most conditions.
Preparing your riding partner for what's in store is a real responsibility for
the captain.
The stoker is never at fault, IMHO

Ray