In my experience, outside a glass or thorn heavy environment, a low
inflation, wide, supple tire is its own flat protection, as the suppleness
allows the tire to compress around sharp rocks etc. I've only gotten pinch
flats (from underinflation) and from riding the tires after the tread was
worn down.

Patrick of the Moore swears by using liquid latex in his tubes to prevent
flats in his goat head infested niche of the world.

There seems to be a wide variety of what works for people (no doubt for a
variety of reasons) on commutes. Experience will be the best teacher. I'd
aim for the plushest ride first and add flat protection if you get a lot of
flats that aren't fixed by proper inflation (which can take a bit to dial
in -- the basic idea is just enough air to prevent pinch flats and tire
rolls in curves).

With abandon,
Patrick