Lots of good info on this thread and in particular the point about looking at
the whole setup, not just the type of bars, to combat hand pain. I use
Albastache bars on my upright-est bike and the overall setup makes for a very
comfortable ride. I also use the widest saddle I have ever used (Brooks B17)
and have it tilted upwards the most I have ever done. As with my more
aggressive setups, my upright cockpit allows elbows to be kept bend and hands
to habitually rotate positions on the bars.
As allready discussed on this thread, there are several pluses on this setup
but there is also one minus and that is loss of speed for the same input of
power, all else equal, and although speed quite possibly is insignificant to
you at your current predicament it may become a consideration later on. Just
another data point to consider along with the rest.