My first disc brake experience was with a cheap mechanical disc brake, and
braking performance, by any measure, was on par with cheap caliper or
v-brakes. They'd stop the bike as needed, but I didn't observe any
advantage with them. I then upgraded to some Shimano XT hydraulics and this
is when the epiphany happened. My first handful of brake lever quickly
taught me that unlike many rim brakes, grabbing too much hydraulic disc
brakes is a signal that you want to stop NOW and possibly do a
superman-like flight over the handlebars.

I then added Shimano hydraulics to another bike, and on my recent build up
of an All City, I wanted to give mech disc calipers another go, and I chose
TRP Spyres, which moved the outboard and inboard pads together at the same
time, similar to hydros, but unlike most mechanical disc calipers that only
move the outboard pad. The Spyres perform very well, though I still think
that the Shimano hydros give better performance all around.

My Surly Troll came with disc brake mounts and removable canti posts. To
me, this would be an ideal config for Rivendell to consider emulating,
without potentially alienating any customers or running afoul of any ideals
they hold for necessary braking control. A Hunq/Altlantis with this config
seems smart to me, but I'm just a consumer with a bike budget.

Jeff
Silver Spring, MD