I should add that another rider took the Matthews for a quick spin, someone
with a huge experience of different bikes of all sorts, from track bikes to
29ers, and he did not feel anything untoward about the Matthew's handling
on pavement; tire pressures deliberately low at about 21-24. But the
difference with my Rivs' handling is not in my head! Possibly the problem,
for me, is having such a high (Rivendell-standard handling) bar.