Hi all,

I've finally pulled my 60cm grey Cheviot out of the box and started
attaching parts.  Hopefully everything will be in place soon and I can take
it out for a ride.

A few days ago I ordered a set of 52mm Zeppelin fenders from Velo Orange.
Now I am ready to order some tires.  I was all set to order the Compass
Barlow Pass tires based on all of the positive comments that I have read on
the list.  Then, after doing some research, I came across Soma's Supple
Vitesse tire, which seems fairly similar to the Compass tires.  The bonus
(perhaps) for me, is that the Soma tire is available in either 38mm to
match the Barlow Pass, or in 42mm - which would be a nice match for my
Zeppelin fenders.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Soma tires and, if so,
would be willing to provide some comparisons between them and the Compass
tires.

Link to Soma tires:  Soma Supple Vitesse EX tires
<http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/supple-vitesse-ex-700c-clincher-tire>

I will be mounting the tires to Mavic A 719 rims.  The brakes I am using
are Tektro R 559.

For the most part, the Cheviot will be used as an 'round town bike - a
"grocery getter" as my wife likes to call it.  However, I anticipate that
it will be used on local bike paths and (perhaps) for some longer rides /
light touring -- perhaps even on the Erie Canal bike path (stone dust and
dirt, as well as paved areas.

Thanks for your thoughts on which tire will serve me best.  I am looking
for something that will be dependable, fun & comfortable to ride, and
relatively unlikely to flat on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Sean
East Aurora, NY