On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 3:15:02 PM UTC-6, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Speaking of discs versus calipers, I've read in more than one place that
> discs are useful on racing bikes because they stop faster and therefore let
> you go faster into a corner before you have to slow down, so that you can
> negotiate corners faster than with calipers.
>
> I daresay that hydraulic discs will jam a wheel still with less finger
> pressure than any caliper, but so what -- when you have a tiny rubber
> patch, what advantage does a more powerful "squeeze" make?
>
> Note that I'm not figuring carbon fiber rims into the equation here; i
> daresay that, since calipers work less well on cf rims than on aluminum
> ones, discs on road bikes with cf rims may well be useful in that regard.
> But consider the question asked for bikes with aluminum rims.
>
> So, is this bogus, or is it true?
>
> I think discs have advantages over calipers that make them useful for
> certain types of riding in certain conditions, but I am very skeptical of
> this claim.

Right, you hope they're not comparing discs to rim-braking on carbon brake
tracks where rim-braking is not at it's best.
I've noticed I do brake later into steep high speed road turns on my disc
road bike, turns that require coming down from 50 mph to 20pmh on my canyon
descents, but the biggest difference in late braking is with wider tires.
When I compare are tires (41mm Baby Shoe Pass EL) with brazed-on Raids on
A23 rims vs. TRP Hy/Rds 160 rotors with Modolo levers on Pacenti TL28 rims,
I brake somewhat later with discs. But I noticed braking much later into
these high speed turns on my most recent canyon descents on 47-48 Switch
Back Hill EL tires. I'm guessing I'd also brake later on rim brakes with
SBH tires too--they fit on my bike with Raids but not under the fenders so
I may have to remove fenders to try it sometime.

In general I don't see a lot of difference in braking quality or power in
these two road set-ups, rim vs. disc, except that the same amount of
braking requires somewhat less hand effort with discs. Both seem to do
really well with high speed descending on pavement with heavy braking for
tight switchbacks. Hand effort seems really good to me with the Raids too,
much less hand effort than required with the regular old single pivot
Record brakes I'm used to. But hand effort is still noticeably less with
discs.

But the big difference in late braking for me has been with increasing tire
width. This surprises me because I was doing these same 50mph to 20mph
turns on 25mm tires with no complaints before I started riding fatter tires
on the road. I'd hear descending was faster on fat tires and I would think
maybe that's just for riders who aren't fast descenders. But I think the
difference is there because I brake noticeably laters on 42mm tires
compared to 25mm and then on 48mm tires the late braking is really
noticeable. I think the reason for the late braking is probably two things
(?): there is more grip with the larger contact patch, but also wider tires
soak up more road irregularity and surface roughness through the turn and
on narrower tires I feel like I need to get speed down a little earlier in
preparation so I can manage that roughness leaned over while with the wider
tires I'm more ok leaning the bike over and trusting the tires to handle
more of that roughness than narrow tires can on their own.

The late braking difference in lower hand effort seems to come from the
fact that I notice I use progressive stages of hand effort when I scrub a
lot of speed (50 down to 20). BTW, all of this braking I do on descents is
from the hoods.  On rim brake Raids, I squeeze and lose a lot of speed, but
then there is a harder squeeze I have to ramp up to with more hand strength
to get down to the safe 20mph to go through the sharp sweeper turn. Some
people might do this all with one progressively firmer squeeze but for me
it does feel like two separate squeeze--one big firm one then a really hard
one.  On disc Hy/Rds I don't require that second stage of harder. One stage
of firm hand pressure on Hy/Rds takes me all the way down to 20mph. This
simpler process lets me brake later I think, or at least that seems one
likely explanation, all else being equal. (The old school Record single
pivots handle the same 50mph down to 20mph turns just fine but it takes
noticeably more hand pressure than the Raids.)

--Mitch