These days, on nearly all major construction projects (I'm an ironworker so I'm
speaking of outdoors, with structural steel), if lightning has struck within
8-10 miles, workers are supposed to be "under cover" for 20-30 minutes after
the last strike. The safety department monitors this with a lightning detector.
How accurate these are, I can't say, but that's what they use. I've been in the
business for 38 years and that didn't happen (at least I hadn't seen it) until
around 10-12 years ago. We were just left to use common sense (a characteristic
with which ironworkers aren't always given much).  I'm more like Patrick, and,
although, I don't like riding in thunderstorms and try to avoid them, it's not
a deal breaker. It was 90 degrees today by 12:30 with 65% humidity when I
finished a 3 hour ride. I would have welcomed one! Thanks for the report
Patrick.