For a long cage RD, I suggest a Deore M591, 9 spd with ample chain wrap and
less than $40.  RD are very inexpensive compared to 20, 30 years ago, so
why use old mechs when you can get technically superior RDs now that a
inexpensive.

I agree with the beauty of high flange hubs, but VO is the only thing close
to the Phil or the Shimano 333's that came on my 75 Voyaguer II.

Campy levers are nice, but aero levers get rid of the annoying brake cables
starring you I the face.  I suggest function over form, especially the
Tektro's RL341's (aero with the QR button, good for canti's to open them
up) which have a SHORT REACH/Womens option for small hands.

I have a pair of Suntour ratcheting bar end shifters, if you are
interested.   Of course the RBW Silvers are a stylish with finer ratcheting
movement which has advantages if you are friction shifting the rear

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ