Lum:

Regarding your question about alternative lighting systems—I’ve been using
Magnic Lights for several years now, both their first and second generations
(https://www.magniclight.com/en/ <https://www.magniclight.com/en/>) The lights
stay on the bike and serve as daytime running lights. I know they use some of
my effort to generate light, but I can honestly say that you can’t feel any
drag. None.

The lights work well, and the second generation works much better than the
first. I’ve used them successfully for nighttime riding, always with a
helmet-mounted headlight. If you need super-bright lights they are probably not
the best choice, but out in the country and away from streetlights they are
plenty bright for me. YMMV

The taillights (and especially the second generation) are very bright. The
newer model also adds several modes (flashing vs steady, etc.) and acts as a
brake light, blinking when you slow down.

I have had zero problems with mine.

The least desirable part of the system for me is the way the front lights
mount. Because they have to be close to the rim, they don’t clear wide tires
(wider than about 28C) very easily. Magnic Light’s nicest mount runs close to
the wheel and won’t work with tires wider than 28C.

Contact me offline if you’re interested in more info. You can also use Google
to find a number of online reviews.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)