I think the transition was inevitable based on the rides Grant & Co. actually
do, and the bikes he was specifically designing for them at Bridgestone.

The Road, LongLow, Heron Road and Rambouillet were all extensions of the RB-1,
which was probably considered an expected bike from Rivendell in the first
decade. But the All Rounder and Atlantis were the XO-1 that Grant's heart was
in (my opinion), and variations on that All Roads S240 theme spread throughout
the production models as the years went on.

The "cruisers" work well for commuting on rough roads and trails with a bunch
of stuff loaded on, and are presented to the buyer as "you don't have to meet a
mileage or speed goal, just get outside and go for a ride." It manages to
remain a niche for RBW in the sea of utilitarian steel bikes that they created
as the original nice. That's a neat trick!