For the record, I wasn't being snide or trying to deprecate when I used the
word "cruisers" -- I think that the word fits; they're very nice and fun to
ride and sporty cruisers. And -- I'm 62 -- in 10 years, heck, I may be
saving pennies for a Clem or Joe or similar.

As to Joe's hypothesis: I dunno. I was a late member of the original
bobgroup, and an early member of Rivendell, and I recall the print space
devoted to what basically was old school steel road bikes and all the cool
retro steel/friction/leather/canvas/wool roadie kit; only, more practical
than your 1995 Eddy Merckx. And IIRC, they -- Riv Roads, Long Lows, related
by marriage Herons -- sold a lot more than All Rounders.

Aside: My first customized Road was built around the All Rounder idea -- I
asked Grant to make me a XO-1 that was more roady and was better than the
XO-1. (He said, "Oh, it'll be better!") So, 54 cm st c-c, 56.5 level tt
c-c, 73* parallel, toute Riv 753 except perhaps the fork may have been 531.
Tweaked geometry, road tubing, lugs, and fork. Now, with a level top tube,
I can very comfortably ride a 60 c-c. I told Grant, "I'll post this to the
boblist!!!" He said, "Don't you dare!" But the statute of limitations has
run out.

A very nice bike, tho' I had to get a custom Salsa upjutter to make it fit;
but fit it did. The current '99 and '03, though, are light years and
quantum levels and levels of being better than that first 1995 custom, even
though that was a huge improvement, for road use, over the '92 XO-1 (I
think that the XO-1 was a good idea that hadn't yet come to fruition;
fruition was the Atlantis.)