That's a nice explanation that is more specific than my general thoughts
along those lines.

I have a 1984 Trek 830 ATB that handles like a dream and it has long
chainstays, a low bb and what I consider a short F-C (580mm ett).  I found
that  to get comfortable on the bike, I needed a low angle (7 degree, I
think) 120mm stem but that threw the handling all off and I didn't even
like riding the bike.  I switched to a higher angle, 110mm stem and it
handles like a dream but I'm not comfortable due to the shortened distance
to the handlebars.

OTOH, my Karate Monkey has a 600mm ETT and with a 17 degree, 100mm stem,
it's quite comfortable but the steering isn't very intuitive.  I switched
to a very high angle, 110mm stem (equivalent to a 7 degree, 85mm stem) and
it now handles like a dream but is slightly less comfortable than it was,
again, due to a shortened distance to the handlebars.

Overall, both bikes are dialed in on the handling and both are less
comfortable than they could be, but the KM is the better compromise between
the two so I ride it more often.  Both bikes are set up so that the
handlebar obscures the front hub.  I don't know if that's just a
coincidence, or if there really is something to that almost universal
recommendation.