Hollow point pins, the most common, grip anything soft. Depending on the
softness it may even create voids in the sole. I
This happens on Crocs slides I wear and my feet do not move at all on tne
pedals, but since the the sandals fit somewhat loose my feet move around a bit,
whatever is natural. I removed all the pins on o e side and installed spome
skate tape on the exposed surfacw of the Vice, and though I can move my feet
around easily my feet still have never flown off. I suppose it is in the
technique. I started many eons ago keeping my feet level throughout(like
cleaning mud off your shoes) the stroke with the availablity of clipless and
this easily translated to flat pedals and a midfoot position. It's all in the
technique, not the pedal itself.

Your boat shoes are a harder rubber but they may still create holes in the
soles.

Have you not tried going strapless many times Patrick and it never felt good
enough for you ?  That's what I recall. If so don't bother, just go with a
retention system. Unless your technique has changed it'll be a Groundhod Day,
and there's nowhere to go but off the cliff with the little fella !