I believe that the Appaloosa started as a middle ground between hunq and
hillborne, but by the time it was made it had been made burlier and lies
between a hunq and an Atlantis. At least that's my recollection of the
chronology.

I have a hunq, which will soon be traded for an Atlantis. It is a great bike.
Best I've ever owned.

I've come to think of rivendell as a line of do-it-all bikes. There is a lot of
overlap between models and the bikes do not excel at any one specific thing,
other than ride quality, comfort and beauty. I mean this in the most positive
way. I think that even a hilsen with big tires could do 99% of what most people
use their hunqapillars for.
So I guess what I mean is that, if you want a mountain bike or a racing bike, I
wouldn't get a rivendell. You'd be missing out on what those bikes offer in
their specialty and missing out on what a riv offers outside of that specialty.

I would assume that they are functionally equivalent. So I would make my choice
based on handlebars and wheel size.
I am a medium sized guy and have found my one complaint about the hunqapillar
to be 29er tires on a medium sized bike. I could run a small 700c tire on the
bike, but that would feel sacrilegious to me.
As far as handlebars go, I don't know that id want to try to run drops on the
Appaloosa. I know people do it and like it, but that bike was designed for
upright bars. The hunq does drops just fine.  In the opposite way, I had a
hillborne that I felt was too short in the top tube for upright bars.

Lastly,  If like me, you have more idealistic views of your riding than actual,
id recommend rectifying the two before purchasing. I thought I would be doing
lots of off road riding and touring... I wish that was true. In actuality, in
Los Angeles, 75% of my riding is on roads.