I own a Hunq and had an Appaloosa based Proto-Riv and for me the Hunq was
the right bike. But I loved the Appa a lot.
I wanted to be able to ride rougher single track with tight turns and was
willing to give up the extra smoothness and stability on the longer bike
for more agility so I went with the shorter Hunq.
I sold my Proto to a fellow lister and he puts his kid on the back and
loads the front with his camping gear and rides around Oregon like that. I
think it's the perfect bike for what he's doing. The longer bike was by far
the most stable, comfortable bike I have ever ridden but that did make it a
bit harder to maneuver through rough stuff off road. I still did it but a
shorter bike is easier.
If it were me I'd figure out what type of riding I'd be doing most and base
my decision on that. If you're doing rides that are mostly pavement or fire
roads the Appaloosa is probably they way to go. If you're routinely hitting
rougher singletrack the the Hunq might be your bike. The Appa will ride
smoother.

The Hunq is no mountain bike though, it's fairly capable but I might buy
the Appa and spend the money I saved on a Karate Monkey or similar for
trail shredding