The Tolkien names thing was a story in several chapters. IIRC, it was
originally stated that Riv was contacted by the movie people and told to stop
using the Tolkien names that came after the production of the movies. A few
years later Riv said that they had agreed to stop using the names voluntarily
when they were contacted by the movie people. Next, Grant said that they were
contacted by the movie people and Riv agreed to stop using the names
voluntarily but the movie people really had no real legal recourse. Then Riv
said they had agreed to not put the names on the website or advertisements but
could still make the bikes and that it was all probably moot anyway because the
movie people couldn't really stop them if they wanted to put them on the site
but that it just wasn't worth the hassle and Riv went in another direction
naming wise. I think that's where it currently stands.

I think the Rivendell/ no Rivendell downtube is just Grant's preference and
possibly tied to the historical trajectory started with the multi-party Heron
bikes.

Cheers!
Chris