On 09/01/2017 10:26 PM, lum gim fong wrote:
Thanks, Steve

This cassette is for my 24/40 compact cranks. So I need the 11 to get me in the 94" range with my 650B x 40 tires so I don't spin out too, too soon on the long downhills.

Yes, to get a useful gear with an 11T sprocket and any "normal" sized wheel, you need a chainring as tiny as a 40. I'm much happier with a 46 or 48T big ring, they last much longer than a 40, and what's more there are derailleurs made to fit rings that size (unlike a 40).

Also, on the other end of the cassette, I am a weakling rider and need the 32 cog to get up local hills and still stay in the big ring. Thus the wide range to stay in one ring. I use the 24 ring as a physical-gear-dump-bail-out on anything over 8% grades so I don't blow up and can get to the top without gasping for air. Huffing and puffing on rides too many times on 8%+ hills means me blowing up before the ride is through. So I like to take it easy on the steep stuff.

I don't know how people do mountainous centuries with 39/53 and 11-27 cassettes. I could not even ride my local hills with that gearing.

I'm definitely with you there!

Now with my 24-36-46 triple, I use a 7-speed 13-30. I spin out a little early for my taste, but tolerably so with that setup. I just coast when I get to 30mph.

If you ever want to go to 8 with that setup, try that custom 13-32. Works great. 46x13 on a 700x32 wheel is higher than your 94".