No.  This was entirely on pavement, even the part down the farm road in the Amish area, but even disregarding pavement fenders like this do a great job keeping the bike clean.  And that's especially important if you're riding in area where there are many horse drawn vehicles like the one where these photos were taken, in Maryland's St Marys County.  These photos were all taken on the same ride (indeed, on the same road) as the one featuring the Saluki.

On 09/29/2017 04:29 PM, Bruce wrote:
Immaculate bike Steve.  You trailer it there, take picture then put it back? :) Love those honking fat tires.  Oodles of comfort and as fast as you want too.

Yes indeed, those tires are very comfortable.  And in rural areas, high pressure narrow racing tires just don't get on all that pleasantly with farm roads, which are generally paved with coarse materials like chipseal, but also the iron shod horses' hooves and the steel tires on the the buggy wheels really tear up the pavement.

The bike below is now owned by list member Tony DeFilippo, who also lives in Alexandria VA.

*From:* Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com>
*To:* rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
*Sent:* Friday, September 29, 2017 3:05 PM
*Subject:* Re: [RBW] Re: Saluki.

On 09/29/2017 03:55 PM, lum gim fong wrote:
Why not consider a Roadeo?

They can do everything a Saluki can now that you can get braze ons wherever you want them, plus they will be a snappier ride/lighter tubeset.

I guess only restriction is tire size the Saluki probably has the Roadeo beat. But other than that the Roadeo should be the more exhilerating ride, in theory.

Only "probably"?  Per https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadeo "FOR SURE: The Jack Brown, which is NOMINALLY 33.333mm wide on most rims--but that's irrelevant, remember?--measures about 700mm on a 24mm rim. It's the fattest unfendered tire we can categorically commit to fitting the ROADEO fork. /If you want fenders also, best limit the tire to 682mm height...which will be about a 28./"   I ran 650Bx42mm Grand Bois Hetres with fenders on my Saluki.  That is a huge difference, lum gim.

Bigger than huge.  Monstro Gigantor.  Let's compare a Range Rover with an Aston Martin, why don't we. I can see plenty of reasons why you might want to have both, but I can't see any reason to think the two would really be interchangeable.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>.

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA