I had a six week sabbatical from late August to early October.  I decided I
would 'ride a lot', and I decided to give structure to that goal by
challenging myself to ride 200 miles on each of 10 bicycles over the 93
days of August, September and October.  On Friday the 27th, day 89, I
finished up my 200 miles on my Rosco Bubbe Road, which was bike number
ten.  I will probably be riding my new/old Univega Gran Premio for the
remaining days of October, so the final tally for the ten looks like

1.  1973 Windsor Carrera Sport: 208.8 miles
2.  1985 Schwinn Tempo (650B): 201.5 miles
3.  Rivendell Samueal Hillborne: 214.1 miles
4.  Niner RLT9 (650B): 609.3 miles
5.  Black Mountain Road (home):  206.8 miles
6.  Black Mountain Road (mom's house): 205.1 miles
7.  Rosco Bubbe Mixte Step Through: 245.5 miles
8.  Gunnar Two-speed singlespeed: 204.1 miles
9.  Niner Air 9 Carbon: 215.2 miles
10.  Rosco Bubbe Road: 212.1 miles

Include a few bonus miles for my HubbuHubbuH tandem and my Univega Gran
Premio, I've got a running total of 2545.4 miles.

Even though things fell into place nicely, some things turned out a little
different from how I expected.  I thought that with work I would end up
doing roughly 500 miles in August, 1000 miles in September, and maybe 700
miles in October.  Even though I only had two or three sabbatical days in
August, that turned out to be my biggest month in mileage, with 1007
miles.  September, which I had completely off from work, will turn out to
be the month that I rode the fewest miles, at 772 miles.  October is at 756
miles, with three days left to go. I only had two days where I rode over
100 miles, and only 11 over 50 miles. So, it's not like I was living on the
bike. I could easily envision this kind of pace during retirement, provided
I'm healthy (lob willing).

When I posted a 'complete' post on Instagram, a coworker thanked me for
earning him $10. He bet on my success and it paid off, which is cool.

As you obviously will notice, I only went WAY over 200 miles on one bike,
my Niner RLT9, aka the Niner Seven Fiver. I did a bunch of pre-rides for a
very challenging 200k brevet, and then completed the actual brevet
yesterday, so the mileage really added up. I had the rest of the 10x200
challenge under control, so I considered my extra Niner mileage almost
independently.

Setting a few achievable and measurable goals, months in the future, was a
really enjoyable experience for me. The El Cerrito High School Mountain
Bike Team has a pre-season Goals form that all the kids fill out for the
upcoming season, so I went ahead and filled it out for myself, too. Having
a plan and sticking to it can be a way to motivate oneself when inertia
sets in. What I found was that having a set of goals that were on-schedule
and on-target seemed to completely prevent the inertia ahead of time. I
honestly never said "crap, I have to ride THIS stupid bike again?", or
"gah, I really don't want to ride today". That intertia avoidance was
definitely assisted by the fact that I drink a lot less alcohol now. I even
took a month holiday from beer in September. I don't think I was a heavy
boozer before, nor am I completely dry now, but there's no question I feel
better in the mornings when I consume less.

I was 180lbs on August 1, best-case. I set a much longer than 3 month goal
to lose 20lbs.  I've lost 12lbs so far and I've moved the target to 155.  I
expect that this continuing goal will help me keep my diet and other habits
healthy, so I don't lose things that I've gained. I'm considering putting
running back into the activities I do, partially because it takes a lot
less time to get the work in, and partially out of envy that all my racers
on the El Cerrito High Mountain Bike team are running on the cross country
team for their off-season work.

Thanks to the group for your kindness in letting me blather on about
myself. It would have been very easy to be less generous. Some of you get
these posts over email, and I'm sure some of you said to yourself "HIM,
again!?" Hopefully it wasn't too tiresome.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA