We did a ride like similar to this on a previous SoCal ride, but we
cut through Topanga (or was it Temescal?) in order to avoid so much
distance on PCH, which can be hairy with all the Mel Gibson-style
daytime drunks.

It would be great if we could figure out a way to tack on that kind of
distance, but do so in a way that keeps PCH exposure to a minimum.
Anyone have any ideas?