Melanie-

Sorry for the tardy response, but here are some pictures of the current
build (Jones bars with M590 shifters) on my '88 Schwinn KOM-10.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uziENhoNRlEvl6ws1
Hopefully that link works.

Look at the most recent photos (scroll to the bottom) to show the Jones bar
cockpit.  I mounted the bars with a ~20 degree nose-up tilt (on a
threadless stem adapter and uptilt stem).  I mounted the shifters and brake
levers about ~90 degrees down from the plane of the bar, or about ~70
degrees from the horizon.

This seems to get the thumb shifters in a comfortable position.

Other stuff about the build:
The bike is a 1988 Schwinn KOM-10, a high-end lugged MTB frameset made at
the new plant in Greenville MS under Richard Schwinn.  It was made as the
'86-87 Paramountain, and raced to NORBA championships by Ned Overend.  For
'88 they renamed it since they couldn't keep making the Paramountain with
Ned's name on it after he left for Specialized.
Its tubeset is Tange Prestige MTB, same tubing as the Stumpjumper and other
top MTB of the mid-80s, and the lugs were cast by Schwinn's Paramount group.
It has weird angles (which were a radical new design for NORBA
competition); 71 degree headset and 74 degree seat tube angles, a long top
tube (24"/61cm vs 22"/56cm seat tube) and low stack (due to flat top tube
angle) makes for twitchy front end handling.
It also has the signature oddball feature of the mid-80s MTB:  U-brakes on
the chainstays behind the crank!  Thankfully, mine are the Deore XT M730s,
which were regarded as the best of the breed.  They work well with new
Kool-stop pads, but they're still a pain to set up.

The build was complete Shimano Deore XT M730, including headset, BB, hubs,
pedals, etc.  For that very first production run, it was 6-speed indexed,
on a Uniglide hub.  I still have the wheels; that hub is a weird one.

I bought the bike about 4 years ago for only $75!  It was used but not
trashed, except for the huge scratches in the paint from some cruel storage
hooks.  The paint damage and eventual rust is what urged me to blast off
the awesome bomb pop paint job and I had it powder coated clear with a
little sparkle.
I've kept much of the original equipment (brakes, headset, crankset
(Biopace 48/38/26), but I've replaced other components that I've worn out
(RD, BB) or replaced with upgrades.  It was a fun and sporty ride with
Nitto B135 drop bars, but now that its fast gravel duties have been taken
over by my plastic (CF) 'cross bike, the upright bar build makes more sense.

I changed the wheelset to a modern Deore XT T780 set with a dynamo front
hub, and the RD to a 9-speed Shimano.  The M590 9-speed shifters work great
with both the modern rear and vintage front (original crank and FD).
I mounted a B&M Cyo premium headlight to the threaded eyelet on the side of
my Nitto M12 front rack using a Sheldon's nut.
I mounted a B&M Topline tail light to a Tubus Logo Evo rear rack.  I ran
the tail light cable along the down tube, left chain stay, and up the rack
leg, and I glued it on with Shoe Goo (holding for 2 years now).
The front bag is a Sackville small Trunksack, which fits perfectly on the
M12 but doesn't hold much.  The frame bag is a custom from RuthWorks in SF;
I bought it from a listmember who had it made for his identical
Paramountain frame, but later sold the frame without the bag.  It's a
custom fit (which is great, because the geometry of this bike is weird and
a modern frame bag would fit funny) and fits a fair amount of gear.  I add
some Ortlieb rear panniers for cargo.
By using bottle cage adapters and side-entry cages, I can still fit two
full bottles under the frame bag.
The tires are Schwalbe Thunder Burt liteskin in 26 x 2.1.  The low-profile
knobs (and light construction) make them very fast for MTB tires, yet they
still have enough tread for dry dirt trails.  The fenders are SKS P65
longboards.

This bike is a big klutz (38 lbs and twitchy front end).  But I'm a big
klutz too so it fits.  I've done a lot on it (single track, fast gravel and
dirt rides, touring, commuting, winter riding, just riding downtown) but it
has gotten elbowed out of the common rotation by my other lighter and more
specialized bikes.  Any more, I ride it when I want to take a leisurely
ride down to the library or brewery.

Cheers,
Tim Gavin
Cedar Rapids, IA