If you live in a northern city that uses salt it can be a chore.  A
couple years ago someone - I believe on this list - suggested going to
a self car wash and rinse the drive train down using the low pressure
pre-wash cycle only.

I use this to get the encrusted stuff off, then take the bike home and
finish the job with my regular cleaner and park brush.

If you go this route be very careful not to use the high pressure
function on the wash wand.  Also be prepared for snide remarks from
car owners who frequently seem to think bike cleaners' money is not as
good as theirs.