I've spent a number of winters with steel frames encased in salt. I do
clean them regularly, but all the same, rust does form. Isn't it a
protective seal against further corrosion, though? I've convinced
myself that it's all largely cosmetic and that any steel frame can
withstand salt thrown at it for three months of the year.