Executive Summery Conclusion: Drum brakes and IGH (except Rollof and possibly a
7sp. Torpedo) are not designed for rough riding and folks who are riding IGH
and/or drum brakes off pavement are always fiddling with their bikes and it is
almost never a long term, reliable solution, but instead one that is always
breaking and needing fixing — the fiddler’s dream! Thus, neither is the
solution I seek and instead of a Tranformapillar, I will focus on the
Contentapillar. Grin.

The Journey
The last two days I’ve been riding the Hunqapillar in wannabe 3-speed mode.
It’s been a fascinating experience — similar to the simplicity of singlespeed,
but with the ability to shift to a certain point without stopping. A lot less
thinking about gear shifts, so I may well incorporate it into my routine,
essentially skipping two gears each shift.

I spoke with Grant, who was, as ever, very generious beyond all reasonable
expectations and even some unreasonable ones. He had some ideas on how to lube
the pivots in my derailure to possibly encourage shifting when frozen, or at
least making it easier for my hand to manually shift.

All of this is the result of a very good thing — ongoing brain healing that
allows me to be stupider farther out in all conditions. Grin. Thus I seek ways
to maximize the liklihood of my gear not failing 30 miles from home. Grin.

Thank you all for your generosity in playing with this with me. Ride with wild
abandon!

WIth abandon,
Patrick