Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have arthritis of the hands and
wrists, and unrelated, several degenerated spinal discs.  These are
generally not too much of a problem and I can still ride 30-40-50 miles but
feel the aches and pain after.  Bars higher helps the hands, but too
upright hurts the back.  So looking for that sweet spot of compromise.

Lee is correct about core strength and my exercise regime is varied and
includes swimming, Pilates, yoga, stretching.

My opinion about upright position on bikes:  older folks need to avoid
being too upright, as the road forces get transmitted directly up and down
the spine.  As we age, the shock absorbing discs get dessecated, shrink,
and lose that ability to absorb shock. This makes it more likely to
compress nerve roots as they exit the spine. A gentle arch is much better
at shock absorption and each of us has to find that position for
him/herself.

Interesting to note the Grant, in recent years, seems to have moved to more
upright positions.  Is he not aging as well?

Best,
Alan