Hi RBWOBunch,

I’m a newer member here… I've added a few comments to some recent threads
but otherwise had only been a casual observer for the past few years after
first discovering the group while doing some google searches (sorry, I
still haven’t completely accepted “google” as a verb) of past Riv models.  I
never had a personal gmail and just didn’t know how to join/contribute
otherwise but a few weeks back I came to the realization that I could just
commandeer a dormant account that was originally created for another
purpose with a group of friends but that project was abandoned some time
ago and I was the last to manage the account… so here I am.

Anyway, I have found great value in several threads here and thought it was
time I share some details and solicit feedback as I sort through some
cycling related dilemmas.  Apologies in advance… this is likely to become
long winded and overly verbose.  I could do that and my wife likes to say
my brain throws up on occasion ; )  Here’s my overall dilemma:  I
desperately need to downsize my bike stable but I know I’ll need to keep
enough on hand to satisfy my tinkering tendencies.  I’ve already abandoned
several prior experiments/projects for various reasons but still have a few
ideas nagging me.  I know logic will never prevail over emotion but I’m
attempting to approach this as logically/economically as possible and think
things through rather than act hastily like I may have in the past in
regard to trying new builds.  My wife and I also welcomed our first child
4.5 months ago so the downsizing is in large part out of necessity.  Ideally
I’ll still have at least 2 road ready bikes come Spring; One set-up for
baby hauling and one for sportier solo riding, both on and off road as I
have a small network of multiuse paths and trails very close to home.

I do not intend for this discussion to just be about downsizing however.
Something
else in particular has been bouncing around my brain and involves an
otherwise unused Riv fork:  A Simpleone surplus fork (700c, canti-equipped,
unpainted, 238mm threaded steerer… bought from Riv when available as a web
special pre-Rosco Bubbe project.)  It was intended as part of a front end
upgrade for an old road frame but that project fell through.  Unfortunately,
the frame (a mid/low end ‘87 Schwinn Traveler) revealed a crack right
before the rebuild began but of course not until after I already acquired
all the desired/necessary upgrade parts (new headset, Nitto 32f rack, new
canti brakes, and a fatter front tire to take advantage of the increased
clearance.)  This frame had gone through a few wardrobe changes but most
recently served as my single speed testing platform prior to the planned
rebuild.  After I concluded single speeding was right for me I had picked
up a readymade Milwaukee Orange One frame as a dedicated singlespeed/fixed
gear and moved the drivetrain over.  I then wanted to convert the Traveler
back to a geared drop bar build and splurged on the Riv fork for the added
versatility and because the steerer length was nearly an exact match to the
existing fork.  At the time this would have given me three bikes (maybe 4
depending on the timing of a Raleigh 3 speed acquisition); Milwaukee
Single, Schwivendell Road, and an old rigid MTB.  The frame is clearly not
worth the expense of repair (although it’s still hanging in a family
member's garage in case I ever decide to practice welding/brazing or
something!)

So the Simpleone fork is now collecting dust and either too long or too
short for my remaining frames.  I recently considered whether it could work
as a 9/8” threadless to 1” threaded conversion of the Milwaukee Orange One?

I know I’m trying too hard and this was recently discussed with one LBS who
seemed to at least appreciate the discussion and mental exercise and
confirmed that although it is certainly “do-able” they added that it is not
advisable in their opinion and they are not interested in such endeavors.  I’ve
greatly enjoyed the Milwaukee the past 2 years and there is nothing wrong
with it but I can’t stop wondering whether I could salvage something out of
all of this and simultaneously make the Milwaukee even more
useful/versatile with the more rackable and more elegant Simpleone fork?
The stock Milwaukee fork is imported and appears to otherwise match a Surly
Pacer fork.  It's fine and no problem whatsoever but pairing the nicer Riv
fork with my nicest Waterford made road frame would be ideal and
essentially create my very own Rosco Road Simplebeam/Quickone aka Rivwaukee
[Rivay-wah-kay] SimpleRoscOne [Simplay-Rosco-nay!]

I’m already aware of numerous reasons I should forget the whole thing, cut
my losses, and just move on but hear me out:

Geometry change would be minimal:  Axle to crown is slightly more with the
Riv fork but within less than a cm of the stock Milwaukee fork.  Offset is
a few mm’s more on the Riv fork which could help alleviate a bit of toe
overlap OR allow more fender clearance or a plusher tire but same amount of
overlap as I currently experience.  I know it is possible to use headtube
adapter/reducer shims to install a 1” headset/fork in a 9/8” spec’d
headtube and the LBS confirmed this but noted they generally advise against
it and take a conservative approach regarding hacks in the headtube area.  The
bigger issue is the stack height: If my numbers are correct I’m about 5-6mm
short on stack height…. the Milwaukee headtube is a cm taller than the
headtube of the originally planned frame (210mm vs 200mm) and with the
headset stack(33mm Tange Levin) and extra mm of lip from reducer shims it
makes the fork steerer (238mm) fall a bit too short.  The headtube has 2cm
of upper extension from top tube junction and in theory can be safely
shaved/cut down by 5-6mm to accommodate but that’s a lot of material to
remove via head-tube facing and that LBS is clearly not interested in such
a task.  The shop mechanic suggested that the ideal single solution (which
does not even exist as far as we know) would be a short stack threaded
headset with the outer diameter of EC34 cups but the guts/inner diameter of
a 1” threaded ISO.  Being that this product doesn’t exist (or does it?) he
agreed that taking material away from the upper headtube plus the 34mm
OD/30mm ID headtube shims would certainly work as intended but is not
recommended.  They were not trying to completely discourage me but made it
clear that they are not willing to do so and there was never a discussion
of labor cost for such a job.

I completely understand the reasoning behind not doing it but I still can’t
stop thinking about it… it would help consolidate a few things for me and
allow better parts swaps between a few other frames and maximize use of a
bunch of spare quill stems and bars.  I could keep one frame on the road at
a time and keep them going in rotation (until I find that perfect build?)

I’ve already acquired numerous bike tools the past several years after
realizing I’d rather incur the expense of the tool and enable myself to
complete certain jobs.  This revelation also came on the heels of several
disappointing experiences from other local shops over the years (it still
amazes me how poor the service could really be at some shops… and I’m
talking the most basic stuff!)  I have yet to venture into
reaming/facing/frame mods territory however and can’t justify such an
investment right now.

If I found a shop willing to do the headtube facing for a reasonable fee my
only additional expense is that labor and cost of the headtube reducer
shims… and I get to keep some of my projects in reserve.  I only have space
for one bike in my living space right now but thanks to some available
storage from generous family I could still keep a 2nd bike road ready and
rotate the two completes as needed/desired and keep a couple spare frames
in storage for when the mood strikes to rebuild and try something new at
little additional expense (aside from new cables, etc.)

Then again, I could also accept the fact that the Milwaukee honestly has
less tire clearance and more toe overlap than I’d really prefer.  I could
accept the fact that the Riv fork would likely be better off just waiting
for something else to come along that is a better fit or in someone elses
hands.   If actually forced to reduce to a single bike my 65cm Clem H would
definitely be the keeper right now and is the planned kid hauler.  Of all
my other bikes/frames the Milwaukee is also the only one with decent value
if to came down to selling anything.  I’ve considered selling off/donating
a few things and saving for a 64cm Black Mountain Monstercross as a lighter
duty and drop bar/single speed friendly complement to my Clem.  This would
allow a 2 bike stable that could still do it all but that would require
fully abandoning a few other projects I simply haven’t had the time for but
still want to see through for the fun and experimentation.  But will I even
care about those anymore if I did go for the BMC Monstercross?

I also became intrigued by the Canti-Sam presale announcement and thought a
62cm Canti-Sam might be a great complement for Clem and with both at 135mm
rear spacing would allow quick wheel and brake swaps between the two
whereas the BMC Monstercross has 130 spacing.  But I haven’t the budget for
a Sam and would have needed to already have sold off a bunch of stuff when
that $1000 presale was announced anyway… maybe still an option if I start
purging immediately but I still have reservations.

Anyone still reading this far? Thanks! not sure what my question really is
at this point but I think you understand what I’m trying to figure out.  I
want to downsize but in a strategic way that still allows some flexibility
and tinkering down the road.  I simply do not think I’ll be satisfied
trying to limit myself to one bike.

My current line-up is as follows:

COMPLETES:

65cm Clem H – Complete with Chocomoose replacement (Clempaloosa?)

62cm Milwaukee Orange One – Moustache RM016 equipped with single speed
drivetrain

68.5cm (27”) Schwinn Traveler (1983 Giant made frame) – currently set with
Nitto RM013 Dirt drop bar/stem and hack job single speed drivetrain… I have
the ability to run this as a geared roadbike with bolt on derailer hanger
and have all the other shifting stuffs but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

IN PROGRESS:

‘70s/’80s 25” Raleigh Deluxe(Superbe?) – unique fleabay frame find that was
supposed to be my 3 speed rebuild with locking fork but turned out to be an
entirely different beast and accepts 700x35 with 120 spacing and room for
fenders.  Planning to make this a fixed/free with spare set of wheels.  Think
of it as becoming a lower trail, foul weather complement to the Milwaukee.
Fork/frame
takes modern hub axles already but just needs to be spread and aligned from
95mm to 100m front and 114 to 120 rear and fresh headset bearings/grease.  Then
there is the Raleigh bottom bracket issue but my understanding is that a VO
threadless cartridge should resolve that and although I have an available
Raleigh bottom bracket and cottered crank I think I’d prefer the square
taper upgrade.

‘94 Mongoose Hilltopper – 22” frame - 56cm c to c/60cm c to top – 61cm
horizontal top tube - 130mm spaced 7 speed rear MTB.  This was my first
real bike shop bike.  Frame still serviceable.  Fits 26x2.3 + canti/vbrakes
but I was also able to fit an actual 700x38 under a Tektro R539 in the rear
on a road wheel and why I considered using the Riv fork at one point to
make this a roadier 700c bike but there isn’t enough threadless steerer to
go full threadless and not enough threads to go full threaded with
everything as is… 145mm headtube and 195mm of threadless steerer leaves
only 50mm of combined headset and stem stack space.  Best bet here is to
tap a couple more cm’s of threading on the Riv fork.  I also have a NOS 26”
Tange unicrown MTB fork with 200mm steerer and is a perfect fit for the
frame… a little longer than the stock fork and raises the total stack just
a bit.  The frame/stock fork are JIS spec’d but I’ve debated
tapping/cutting down the Riv fork to match the length and threads of the
NOS 26” Tange fork and doing an ISO conversion using these as two swappable
forks. I actually have two identical Tange Levin headsets and I could just
scavenge the crown race from the 2nd to make the swaps that much easier.  In
truth I should just let this one go but talk about versatility… this frame
just has tons and it could become so may different things.

21” Raleigh Sports 3 speed – way too small for me and was supposed to be
the parts donor for the above mentioned Raleigh deluxe 3 speed build.  Probably
should just rebuild and sell this one locally.  Part of me wants to keep it
now that my wife and I have a son and maybe he’ll want to join the 3 speed
party with us some day but even if so that’s years from now… can I really
justify storing it that long?

Problem is I simply don’t have the time nor space to justify having all of
these all built up at once.  Decisions, decisions…

I told you my brain throws up sometimes!

Brian Cole

Lawrenceville NJ