I ride all winter here in Cedar Rapids, IA, and I agree with most of the
others' suggestions.

However, I've found that I sweat too much to use merino wool as a base
layer; it eventually ends up clammy and cold against my skin.  I've found
that a wicking synthetic base layer (like spandex/polyproplene) keeps me
warmer because it keeps me dryer.  Everyone's body is different.

I wear one or two layers of merino wool over the synthetic base layer, and
then a shell vest (a packable gilet) is usually all that's required.