Back when I was commuting 20-35 miles per day, I recall wearing a thickish
Swobo winter jersey under a mid-weight nylon cycling windbreaker, just the
2 layers down to below 40*F, with gloves, hat, etc, of course. I'd start
sweating within a few miles, and by the time I got to work, the back of the
jersey was soaked. (That's why I stopped wearing non-breathing jackets
without removable sleeves.)

But the wet wool jersey never felt cold and clammy, as I recall synthetics
feeling when I used to wear them in the '90s and very early '00s -- I gave
them up for wool for this reason. Even the nicer synthetics of the time,
that didn't stink after 15 minutes of body contact, still felt clammy and
chill when wet and when you stopped exerting yourself. Again, not so, for
me, with wool.

And wool does have the reputation of keeping you warm even when it is wet,
which is why, I guess, fishermen in Iceland and the Faroe Islands wear very
heavy wool sweaters at sea, or at least, they used to do so.

Patrick Moore, who wishes he still had that Swobo jersey (and can't recall
why he got rid of it), in mid-40s-high ABQ, NM.

Aside: for the original lister: I went out for a slightly breezy ride this
afternoon, about 45*F, humidity in the low/mid 20s, wearing a lighter
weight merino ls jersey under a mid-weight Gore Tex vest with (essential
for me) high, zip up collar. A wee bit chilish for the first 2 miles, but
after that, very comfortable.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Bill in Roswell GA <roadscrap...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tim, interesting point. I also sweat buckets, but there is a temp point
> for me where the efficiency of synthetics at moving moisture causes "chill
> off", i.e. cooling too fast. Thus merino for next to skin in winter. When
> mountain hiking in cold, I also use that same method of synthetic next to
> skin, merino mid layer, and windproof outer layer (usually a vest).
>
> Cheers,
> Bill in Roswell GA

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique