Ian, unsolicited advice (I'm not a Patrick) but ...

Gearing, particularly fixed gear gearing, is very particular to the rider.
How strong are you, what cadences are you comfortable with, etc.
The best way to get a handle on where to start is to pay attention to what
gears you use on your multi-speed bike, and try putting it in one gear and
leave it there for a while. Also accept the idea that in time you will
likely end up with a collection of rings and cogs, which can be a good
thing and not really all that expensive as bike fetishes go.