I long resisted a trainer as I have always found them to be torture. However,
this year I broke down and bought one. I purchased the Cyclops Fluid 2, not a
smart trainer just something to spin indoors. Last November and December I only
managed one ride combined. Less due to temperature (I live in GA so our winters
are laughable compared to many list members) but more due to less daylight to
get in my rides. In November and December of this year I have managed 15 rides
(while adding in running on the treadmill as well for some variety).  Therefore
it has been a success in my mind. I agree with the suggestions above: a fan is
a must. Even in a basement with the thermostat on 64 I sweat buckets. I keep 2
towels handy and they are soaked after a 45-60 minute ride. I have not managed
to stay on for any longer than that, but I am glad to at least be doing
something.  I have tried watching movies and listening to music. Neither pass
the time quickly, but they help distract me.