Patrick -
Although my normal commute is via a Rivendell (Hunq or Bleriot), I'll often
take one of my road bikes ('73 Pugeot PX-10 or Moots) and they work fine.
Couple of caveats, though:
a) I load my clothes and other items in a backpack, not in a pannier;
b) My route is entirely on pavement; and
c) I typically won't bike if there's to be a heavy rain or other
weather-inspired unpleasantness.
My commute is 30 miles each way, and I keep it up year round except when
there's ice.  It's a lot of fun to commute with a light and fast road bike,
although I might think twice before loading one down with panniers, as
it'll affect the handling, and probably not for the better.
Kevin