It does seem the Sam has changed more than other bikes. When the Sam was
conceived the idea was having few sizes that would fit more people. This was
new in the Rivendell line up. It seems like most of what has changed is top
tube and seat tube lengths. I’d guess this is just an evolution of the expanded
geometry idea— finding the best sizes and the corresponding top tube lengths. I
think the history of the Sam and its changes would make a great Reader article.

Reading everything that has been written about the Sam over the years I get the
sense that it has been a smashing success. It has grown to be Riv’s go to bike.
Grant’s most recent post says “always the bike we rule out before going on to
something else.”

An awesome bike. Congrats to the lucky recent purchasers. I’m jealous.

Cheers!
Chris