In my case, i was “in between” sizes in 2009. My choices were 56cm and 60cm for
my 89cm pbh. I chose the 60cm based on the employee’s suggestion. I was on the
small end of the 60cm range. That is to say, my 89cm pub was among the shortest
that would fit the 60cm frame. But I’d always read Grant saying: “Go bigger,
bigger is better.” So between the Riv employee and Grant in my ears, that’s
what I did. But I did not really understand the Riv “expanded frame” idea. What
it meant for me was that the effective top tube was too long (61cm) even with a
short, 7cm stem. (My legs are long and my torso is on the short side.) Yes, I
rode the bike, and rode it successfully, for 7 years. But it was never the bike
I wanted it to be.
So I took off the parts, and got a 58cm frame.

I think i would have loved the 56cm frame. I’m glad they now offer the new 58.
I’m smack in the middle of the 58cm range, considering pbh, and I find it
perfect.

Concerning changes with the frameset: the 2009 bike, at 60cm, felt lighter to
the hand (picking it up off the ground) than my 2017 58cm frame. Both my
mechanic and I noticed the difference. Brian told me he thought they had
“beefed up” the seat tube a bit. Regardless of weight,, once I’m riding, it’s
just fantastic. I would never accuse Sam of being especially quick or nimble,
but it’s just such a smooth, solid, confidence-inspiring ride that it always
brings me joy.