Ben:

The last time I shipped a bike (via Bike Flights) I ran into a problem finding
a box small enough to avoid their oversize charge (which, to be fair, UPS and
FedEx also charge). Most of the empty bike boxes I found at bike shops were in
the “too big” category, and I had to hunt for a smaller one. The difference in
shipping cost was something like $80 for a small box and $400 for one only
slightly larger.

I say this because I was shipping a 57cm bike (with wheels) that barely fit
inside that box. You may have a problem getting your larger bike into a package
that doesn’t cost a fortune to ship.

One alternative, if you are going to a place near an Amtrak station, is to ship
the bike by train. Amtrak doesn’t charge for very large boxes—in fact, they
sell a box for use on their trains that only requires pedals to be taken off
and the handlebars rotated to be parallel with the frame. You get a very tall
bike in their box, and they’ll ship a bike across the US for about what Bike
Flights, UPS, or FedEx charges for a much smaller package. Shipping all the way
across the US took a few days the last time I sent a bike.

--Eric N
campyonly...@me.com
www.CampyOnly.com
Campyonlyguy.blogspot.com