My wife and I rode it a few years ago. We stayed overnight in Newark, drove
to Staten Island in the morning and rode the ferry over to Battery Park
(just like in the movie Working Girl). When the ride finished, in Staten
Island, we were able to enjoy a bit of the finish line festival then just
walk/ride to the car and head out, well ahead of folks who stayed in the
city and had to take the ferry back then drive out of Manhattan.

It was slow rolling (walking) until we made it to Wall Street and got to
pedal. Be prepared for your own water and food. The rest stops are
inundated with at least a third of the 30,000 like-minded cyclist riding
that day. We were way behind on hydration and food as we were heading out
the Gowanus Expressway and my wife being the lesser rider of us, required
the seatpost push to power on for those last miles and the public commerce
in park at the Verrazano Narrows bridge. Best $5 Gatorade I'd ever had.

It was way fun from a physical geography perspective and having a romp in
NYC you can't get otherwise. As a bike ride alone it's a bit cumbersome
with the participants.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh