David really said it right.  I've done it twice on a tandem with my son,
now 8.  First year we were in the first group to leave and it was great,
except for the pouring rain in 50 degree weather. Being in front really has
its privileges.

Last year we were in the back, and it is literally like being in the worst
auto traffic jam you've ever experienced, except on a bike.  So the weird
thing was having to adjust your mindset away from being the free and easy
bike rider who is virtually never stuck in traffic, to the captive goofball
driving a car who is stuck in traffic.  The only difference here is that
you cannot lament the fact that you were stupid enough to drive instead of
riding a bike to your destination.  You are the car driver now, just on a
bike!

Then, after you get through all the traffic and into Brooklyn, there is the
final 7 miles or so on a highway, often riding into the wind.  The carnage
of weekend and sometimes cyclists stopping and/or struggling was actually
quite sad.  A lot of folks just aren't ready for a 35 mile ride.

My advice would be to park your car somewhere in Staten Island and take the
Ferry to the start line.  That way, after you are done, you can just load
your bike and drive away.  No matter what, you will have to wait to get on
the Ferry, so better to do that in the morning than in the afternoon when
tired and cold.