Well I had a bike shop build up a bike and one day the quill stem slipped and
handlebars rotated and I did nearly crash so yes you might say your life could
depend on it. I don't think it would be rocket science but if you're the type
of person who even would read or be aware of lists like this then you also
probably tend to over think things relating to bicycles. I have no idea how
tight you would have to crank it to bulge the steerer but good frames and forks
cost a lot of money so I wouldn't want to damage it either by over tightening.