Like others have already well said, I'm also a huge proponent of a backup bike.
 If you could find creative financing (other things to sell besides a Sam?),
you have a great opportunity for that here.

Your single bike approach, if it comes down to that, sounds fine.  The only
other idea I have is a few strategic WTB/WTT posts.  You've got time and this
group of fickle folks on your side.  Maybe a micro-swap meet would help you
economize.  I've learned that used good stuff is usually still good stuff.

Either way, I'll enjoy following this project!

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas