Hi Paul,

I too have the itch.  I am the original owner of a Merlin Extralight ('95
vintage).  I originally spec'd it with 8-speed Dura-Ace, early brifters.
After awhile running the 8-speed drivetrain I converted the crank to a
triple, using a 39-tooth 'tripleizer' along with a wider bb.  Run
53-39-26.  Then I got a real 'job' and stopped cycling altogether.....fast
forward to 2011, I started cycling again (thank goodness).  I converted the
cogset to a 9-speed and installed 9-speed bar-cons.  Still run the 53-39-26
crankset.

Present Day: Boy that 11-speed cogset sure would be cool to run, along with
a NEW wheelset, right?  But that would mean new shifters and perhaps a new
rear derailleur.  One part of me says 'go for it' while the rational side
of me says it won't make a huge difference.  I am sticking to my rational
side for now ;)

Maybe check out a larger big chainring on your existing crank?  Increase
your top-end?

Good luck,

Jeff