Drew: I understand it. My new Cheviot uses a single cog in the back and two
rings with derailer up front. This works for me as two versions of a
singlespeed on a ride because I would never be able to talk myself out of
shifting the rear if I had a whole cassette available. The hill gets steep, I
get tired..that grind is going to be alleviated by a shift at some point.

Of course it's a bit silly to build a full-cassette bike only to lock out the
rear, but Grant is going with the idea that you can buy it and change it later
if you want. Actually now that I think about it, I paid for a Paul Melvin, a
single cog and two Gear Clamps. I didn't save any money - and probably not much
weight - over doing it Grant's way! 🤦