I agree with Steve - I've always found it impossible to solder the newer
stainless cable ends, too.  But I don't like the hassle of using end crimps
and having to remove them every time I need to take a cable out (not to
mention, as you say, risking the fraying of the cable).  I'll have to give
your method a try.  What wattage soldering iron did you use?