If you put continuous forward pressure on a freewheel drivetrain, there is NO
difference from putting continuous forward pressure on a fixed gear drivetrain.
The top of the chain is taut and the bottom is slack; there is simply no
"freewheel effect" or, for that matter, any difference at all between the two
drivetrains when you are applying forward pressure. I've seen so many
descriptions and claims that a fixed drivetrain allows you to apply torque
through greater portion of the pedal stroke and this is just nonsense; if you
apply continuous forward pressure, the rear cog has no "knowledge" of whether
it will freewheel or not when that pressure is released.

This is not to say there isn't something magic about riding a fixed gear. I can
imagine that if you get tired and begin to let off pressure at the top/bottom
of your power stroke so as to be momentarily torque-neutral, the fixed
drivetrain carrying the pedals past the top/bottom might be welcome, but that
only applies if you stop applying forward pressure. I also suspect that fixed
gear setups often end up on relatively lightweight steel frames, and that being
forced to mash up hills in high gears enables people to experience frame flex
("planing", but I'm not a fan of that term) for the first time. If planing is a
thing, then this DOES in fact allow you to transmit more power per stroke, but
this is due to the (elastic potential) energy momentarily stored in the frame
at max flex, not due to some drivetrain magic.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA