Michael wrote

A difference of 10 between rings consistently yields a single step on the
cogs, and a difference of 14 yields 2 clicks, but a difference of 12 is
neither one nor the other.

It seems to me that this depends on the gears in the rear cassette. For
example, for a Harris Cyclery 9 speed century special
13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30 cassette, the changing from a 36 to 46 ring
equals 2 steps on the rear cogs for cogs 15 and up.

In general, these gearing choices are really a personal preference.
What really matters is what you are trying to achieve. It seems to me
Michael likes the fact that the big ring in cog n provides roughly the same
gear as the small ring in cog n+2. I think what this means is that he likes
that in the high gears of the small ring or the lower gears of the big ring
provide him the gears he likes without needing a front shift.

On the other hand, this means that the big ring and small ring duplicate
several gears. Another's preference might be to choose the rings and rear
cassette to provide as many unique gears as possible. As I understand it,
this is the idea of a half step (say 52-47) front ring. Jumping down to the
small ring gives you a gear halfway between gears on the big ring. However,
you get that uniqueness only by making a lot of FD shifts. (Note a BQ
article last year  points out how electronic shifting could make this
convenient in the future.)

Lately, I've concluded my own personal preference is to use a triple so that
I can use narrower range in the rear cassette, and get closer gear ratios
with RD gear changes. But that's just feels good to me. Preferences will
vary depending on how you pedal and on what kind of hills you ride.

...Roy

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Frederick, Steve <frede...@mail.lib.msu.edu
> wrote:

> I've come to prefer a 10-tooth jump between chainrings but I didn't really
> understand why they seemed best.  Thanks much to Michael for 'splainin' it!
>
> Steve Frederick, East Lansing, MI

Roy D. Yates
Professor, E&CE
Associate Director, WINLAB