Something I’ve not seen in this discussion yet, and the reason I waited to post
to this thread until an outcome was known, is that the local knowledge
(including the “feel” of something just being off) can allow one to take action
as a close neighbor that in a different block would be foolish. It is entirely
possible the actions of a good neighbor, because they know the info on the
ground, can appear to be a vigilante, when in fact they are being neighborly.
The proof here is 1) the bike was stolen; 2) lots of effort when itno reuniting
the bike with the owner, at the expense of neighbor; 3) bike returned to the
neighbor. Had the bike not been stolen, it would have still likely ended up
with its owner — because of the care of the neighbor. I have benifited greatly
from the care of neighbors and hope I’ve helped a few myself. This is the gift
and wonder of subsidiarity in action — and why people helping people as
directly as possible trumps (can I say that anymore without being political?)
bureaucratic solutions.

With abandon,
Patrick