I certainly get all that, and it makes a ton of sense when looked at in a
certain light. I'm just pointing out that it can be a slippery slope. And I
do think that laws against theft are more than just bureaucracy. And you
can hear this same argument, same line of thinking applied in other cases
of vigilante justice that are not quite as benign. I'm all for neighbors
helping neighbors, but then, when it comes to actually working outside the
legal system, who determines what's copacetic and what ain't? It doesn't
have to be cold, slavish adherence to "bureaucracy" vs. altruistic, good
samaritan neighbor. As when Dane ends his saga with "I hope we can all find
more warmth in our hearts" it skews things a bit, implying that those who
would do anything else are big old uptight play by the rules authoritarian
meanies with no heart. I think it was possible to be concerned and
neighborly about this situation without someone taking matters literally
into their own hands. But really, I must go. I'm needed elsewhere to defend
fenders and rim brakes from the infidels. And to look for a job.